Friday, June 5, 2009

MINI E #140 Good News & Bad News

Today brought some good news and bad news. Good news first. Paul from Sunpower Electric came by this morning and made a fix to our timer. When the timer was turning on and triggering the Clipper Creek box to charge the car, it wasn't working...just a green blinking light on the charger. Now, all is working great!

26 kwhs worth of electricity for 80 miles of driving seems very consistent. This has been the number for the past three days.

Now the bad news. On the way to Burbank today, the warning light noted in yesterday's post came on again. It came on at almost the exact same part of my commute (approx 30 miles in) under very similar conditions...stop and go traffic, 72 degrees outside and a battery temp of only 87 degrees. Today it stayed on for approximately 5 minutes. When the light is on and you lift your foot off the gas, you just coast at full speed. It came on a second time during my journey but only for a few seconds. On my way home yesterday there was no traffic and no warning lights. As I write this I'm still in Burbank, keeping my fingers crossed for the drive home tonight. It's a little scary when the Regen goes out when you're coming to a stop in stop and go traffic. After a while you get so use to it, when it goes out, it's quite startling. Long Beach MINI checked with Nadine at MINI E headquarters (if theres is such a place) and the car needs to be looked at by the techs. Car will be going in for service on Monday at 6:30 a.m.

We love driving the MINI E and hope that this issue can be resolved quickly so we can get back on the road.

We'll be at 450 miles when I return home this evening. For those still waiting for your car, it's worth the wait...hang in there!

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear about the problems, but thanks for keeping s all up to date. I am interested what they do for you for a "loaner". This is something my wife had been asking me. for $850/month I hope they dont leave you stranded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd and Kari,
    I'll be watching patiently for your service update. Let me know if LB MINI has charger installed yet. I'm taking delivery at Crevier, but I work in Carson. Ed

    ReplyDelete